If you are getting Steam Friends Network Unreachable error in Windows, read this article to fix it with ease.
Steam as a gaming platform has gained immense popularity across the world for its engaging features, such as friends and chat. However, recently some users have reported that they are experiencing an annoying Steam Friends Network Unreachable error, not letting them connect with friends.
If you are also facing the same issue, thank your search engine for bringing you to the right article.
Through this write-up, we highlight how to fix an unreachable Steam Friends Network quickly and easily.
Without making you wait, let’s move straight to the needed solutions.
Quick & Easy Fixes for Steam Friends Network Unreachable Error on Windows
You can use the below fixes to drive the Steam Friends Network Unreachable error away with ease.
Cookies and cache increase Steam’s loading speed. But if they are incorrect, corrupted, or out-of-date, you may experience issues like the Steam Friends Network Unreachable error. Hence, you need to delete the Steam cache by following the steps given below.
- Open Steam and log in to your account.
- Choose Steam and select Settings from the descending menu.
- Select Web Browser from the left panel, click on the options to DELETE WEB BROWSER CACHE, and DELETE ALL BROWSER COOKIES.
- Click on OK and close Steam.
- Open Steam and check whether the above steps fixed the issue or you still get the Friends Network Unreachable error message.
Fix 2: Join the Steam Beta program or exit it
The beta program makes game and client updates available to you before their official release. However, since these updates are in their testing phase, they may make you face problems like Steam is running slow, Friends Network unreachable, etc. Hence, you should leave the program if you are a part of it.
If you are not a Beta member of Steam, the official version is buggy in your case. Therefore, in this situation, you should join the Beta program.
Depending on your circumstances, below is how you can join or exit the Beta program of Steam.
- Open Steam.
- Click on the Steam tab and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Pick Account from the left menu.
- Select the CHANGE option from the Beta participation section.
- Depending on whether you need to join or leave the Beta program, select your state of participation.
- Click on OK and move out of Steam.
- Launch Steam and see if the Steam Friends Network Unreachable error is fixed or it reappears.
Fix 3: Use Steam’s older version
The client version that you are using may have bugs causing the Steam Friends Network Unreachable error in Windows. Hence, reverting to an earlier version can fix the problem for you. Below is the way to switch to an older version of Steam.
- On your desktop, make a right-click on the Steam icon.
- Select Properties from the menu present on your screen.
- Go to the Shortcut tab.
- In the Target box, input -nofriendsui at the end (don’t forget to give a space after …stream.exe).
- Click OK to implement the changes.
- Go to Steam and see whether the Friends Network is accessible or it is still unreachable.
If you still face the Steam Friends Network Unreachable error in Windows, follow the below steps to fix it.
- Repeat the steps shared above to access the Shortcut tab of Steam’s Properties.
- Enter -nochatui (keep in mind to give a space after -nofriendsui) and click on OK.
- Open Steam and confirm whether the issue is gone or still Steam Friends Network is unreachable.
Fix 4: Perform an update of your network adapter driver (Recommended)
Many Steam speed-related and other issues, like Friends Network unreachable, stem from an outdated network adapter driver. Therefore, updating the network adapter driver can help fix Steam won’t open and a lot more problems.
You can carry out a network adapter driver update through Device Manager, the website of your hardware manufacturer, or an automatic tool (like Bit Driver Updater, i.e., our top recommendation).
We personally find it better to perform driver updates using Bit Driver Updater. This software carries out driver updates automatically with just one click. Moreover, it also offers a plethora of other features, like making a driver backup and restoring it, speeding up the process of driver downloads, setting a scan schedule, etc.
You can use the link shared below to know about this software in much more depth, download, and install the software.
Once you have installed the software, it shows a list of out-of-date drivers after a few seconds of its installation. You simply need to review the list and pick the option to Update All drivers.
In case you think updating the network adapter driver singly is a better option, you can select the Update Now tool.
However, to ensure your computer performs optimally at all times, experts recommend updating every out-of-date driver.
Fix 5: Perform a modem and router power cycle
Steam Friends Network Unreachable error may result from a local network overcrowded with routers and modems. Power cycling the router and modem clear out the memory and helps you drive many problems like the current issue and Steam was unable to sync your files error. Hence, below is the way to power cycle your modem and router.
- Unplug the router and modem from the socket.
- After 60 seconds, replug the devices.
- Restart the computer and evoke Steam.
Above we discussed the best possible solutions to the Steam Friends Network Unreachable error in Windows. Now, let’s go through some connected questions and answer them to clear your doubts if any.
Frequently asked questions
Below are answers to every question that may come up in your mind about the Friends Network Unreachable error in Steam.
Q1. How do I fix my Friends Network is unreachable on Steam?
In this article, we have shared multiple ways to fix the Friends Network Unreachable issue. You can apply them sequentially to solve your problem or update drivers using Bit Driver Updater to make things right instantly.
Q2. How to fix can’t connect to friends server Steam?
You can try the following to solve this problem.
- Check the Steam server status to ensure that there isn’t any outage
- Close Steam and open it again
Q3. Why can’t I open friends on Steam?
Steam friends may be unopenable due to these reasons.
- Incorrect, corrupted, or out-of-date cookies
- Buggy Steam version
- Outdated network adapter driver
Q4. How do I fix Steam network problems?
Here are the fixes you can use to solve the issues with your Steam network.
- Perform network troubleshooting
- Disable the conflicting background apps, like antivirus
- Open Steam as an administrator
- Try disabling the Windows Firewall temporarily
- Update the network card driver
Steam Friends Network Unreachable: Fixed
Through this article, we discussed the solutions to the Steam Friends Network Unreachable error in Windows. You can apply the fixes given above to drive it away.
If you don’t have enough time to try all the fixes, we suggest carrying out driver updates through Bit Driver Updater to solve the problem in an instant.
To troubleshoot more such tech issues, it will be better if you subscribe to this blog and add it to your list of bookmarks.