Only party lights look attractive when they blink and not the computer screen when it flickers. Therefore, read on to know the sure-shot fixes for the monitor flickering
“My assignments are pending, I need to attend an important virtual meeting, and there’s so much work to do. But how to concentrate on it when the computer screen is flickering continuously, is there any way to fix this constant monitor blinking?” Is this sounding like your thoughts? If yes, then you are definitely at the right place. We understand that only Christmas lights seem pleasing when they blink and not the PC screen when it keeps flashing.
The screen flashing issues are not uncommon on Windows 10. But they are seriously frustrating if you are trying to focus your attention on something crucial on the computer, playing games, or watching a movie on the PC to relax your tired brain.
Therefore, we are here with quick ways to stop the monitor from flickering on and off. But before taking you to the solutions to this annoying problem, first let’s answer a question that you may have on your mind, i.e., “Why is my monitor flickering?”
What causes Monitor Flickering Issues on Windows 10
Below are the most likely causes of a flickering display on your computer.
- Outdated display driver
- Certain applications are incompatible with your OS
- Loose cables
- Magnetic field caused by electronic devices close to the PC
- Hardware issues
Now that you have a list of the factors that made your monitor blink on and off, fixing the issues will be pretty easier. The next section shares how do you fix a flickering monitor.
Quick and Easy Fixes to Solve the Monitor Flickering Problems on Windows 10
Here are the fixes you need to dodge the issues that cause windows 10 screen flickering.
Fix 1: Check the Wires
Before we move to the advanced solutions, the first thing you need to do is check the cables and make sure they aren’t loose or damaged. In case they are in perfect condition, try the below fixes to prevent the monitor from flickering on and off.
Fix 2: Fix the Incompatible Applications
Some applications, particularly antiviruses, maybe the reason why your monitor is blinking on Windows 10. They need to be uninstalled temporarily. But before we do that, first make sure an application issue is a real culprit. For that, you need to perform the following test.
Test to Check Whether an Application is Causing Monitor Blinking Problems or Not
Follow these steps to know whether it is an application that makes the monitor keep blinking on and off or not.
- Use the shortcut command CTRL+ALT+Esc to launch the Task Manager.
- Notice whether the Task Manager is flickering or not.
If the Task Manager flickers, then jump to the next fixes. But if it does not blink, then you need to fix the incompatible application. Below is how to do it.
Troubleshoot the Application Incompatibility
To fix the incompatible applications, follow these steps.
- Evoke the Settings using Windows + I keyboard shortcut.
- Select the Update & Security option.
- Click on the Troubleshoot option present on the left pane of the Update & Security screen.
- Scroll down and click on the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.
- Click on the Run the troubleshooter option to resolve the compatibility issues.
If the monitor still keeps flickering on and off, then you need to uninstall or update some applications like iCloud, IDT Audio, and antivirus. Below is how to uninstall incompatible applications.
Uninstall the Problematic Applications
Go along with the directions given below to uninstall the problem-causing applications.
- Launch the Settings.
- After the Settings appear, click on the Apps option.
- Select Apps & features from the left section of the window.
- Click on the problematical application and then select Uninstall.
Fix 3: Disable Desktop Manager
The Desktop Manager playing games and watching movies with stunning visual effects even more pleasing experience. However, sometimes it may also be responsible for the continuous on and off flickering of the monitor. Thus, disabling it is also one of the ways to get rid of the issues you are facing. String along the below directions to do it.
- Employ the Windows+R keyboard shortcut to activate the Run box.
- Type services.msc in the box that appears and click on the OK button.
- Right-click on the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager and choose Properties.
- Go to the General tab and change the start-up type to Disabled.
- Lastly, click OK and Apply to let the changes take effect.
Fix 4: Update the Display Driver to Fix Monitor Flickering (Recommended)
If the monitor of your Windows 10 computer is blinking on and off, then most likely the display drivers need to be updated. Outdated drivers not only cause the screen to flicker but other issues as well. Therefore, we suggest you keep the drivers updated. One way to update the display drivers is to do it manually through Device Manager. But manual driver updates take a lot of time and effort. Hence, we have a shorter route for you. All you need to do is get a driver update utility like Bit Driver Updater to accomplish the task automatically with just a click.
Bit Driver Updater not only offers a single click fix for all the outdated drivers but also boasts many outstanding features such as the creation of a system restore point, driver download speed acceleration, etc. Below is how to use it for updating the display driver.
- Click on the below button to get the setup of Bit Driver Updater.
- Now, follow the on-screen directions to install Bit Driver Updater on your computer.
- Give the software a few seconds to scan your PC thoroughly.
- Take a look at the scan results and click on the Update Now button available alongside the display driver to drive the monitor flickering issue away.
If you want to fix other driver-related problems as well, then click on the Update All button to get the updated versions of all the flagged drivers.
Fix 5: Try Changing the Monitor Refresh Rate
In simple terms, refresh rate means the number of times your monitor can display a new picture. Incorrect refresh rate also contributes to the computer screen flickering issues on Windows 10. Therefore, follow these steps to change it.
- Using the Windows + I shortcut command, open Settings.
- Click on the System option.
- Choose Display from the left panel of the System window.
- Click on Multiple displays and then choose the Advanced display settings.
- Click on the Display adapter properties option.
- Go to the Monitor tab.
- Click on the Screen Refresh Rate arrow under the Monitor Settings.
- Select the desired refresh rate. If there is only a single refresh rate, then first you need to reinstall the display driver. Jump to the next fix to learn how to do it.
- Click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
Read More: Windows 10 Stretched Screen Issues [Solved Easily and Quickly]
Fix 6: Reinstall the Display Driver
Incorrectly installed display driver is also among one of the reasons for which the monitor keeps blinking on and off. Hence, reinstalling the driver can fix it. Implement these steps to do it.
- Launch the Run box.
- Type devmgmt.msc and click OK to open Device Manager.
- Click on Display adapters to view them.
- Right-click on the display driver and select the Uninstall device option.
- Mark the Delete the driver software for this device option and click OK.
- After the uninstallation finishes, restart the computer.
Fix 7: Troubleshoot the Hardware Issues
Since hardware problems may also lead to screen flashing problems on Windows 10, you need to fix them. Go along with the below directions to do it.
- Activate the Settings.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Select the Troubleshoot option from the left section of the window.
- Click on the Hardware and Devices option.
- Click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
Fix 8: Remove the Nearby Electronic Devices
If the devices like phones, microwave, etc. are placed close to the computer, then the magnetic field caused by them can result in monitor flickering. Therefore, remove such electronic devices from the PC’s proximity.
Computer Screen Flickering Issue Fixed Successfully
This article helped you to understand what causes the monitor to flicker and what to do if the monitor is flickering on and off. You can apply the above fixes to eliminate the problem quickly and easily. In case you know other better ways to solve the problem, then bring them to our notice through the comments section.