If you are worried about your keyboard numbers not working, then you should read this article to get your keyboard number back to working condition.
A typical full-sized keyboard has a separate number pad and the number keys above the letter keys. While using the keyboard on your computer, you may face a lot of issues. For example, the FN key doesn’t work, ALT codes don’t work, the laptop keyboard doesn’t work, and so on, that’s why.
In addition, you may also have problems with the number keys are not working on the keyboard. These issues arise due to various reasons. Such as bad keyboard settings, keyboard driver problems, hardware problems, etc.
If your keyboard number pad isn’t working, today we are going to look into this matter and help you resolve this issue, so continue reading.
Recommended Method to Fix the Keyboard Number Not Working Issue
Having an outdated or corrupt driver is the most common reason behind issues like keyboard numbers not functioning. And the best way to solve it is to keep your drivers up-to-date. Download Bit Driver Updater to keep your drivers updated and get rid of such problems in the future. This software comes with a very easy to use interface and helps your keep a backup of your old drivers. Click on the link below to download this amazing software:
Fix Your Keyboard Numbers For Windows PC
If your keyboard number pad is not working, here are some simple and effective ways to fix this problem. However, you should use these fixes one by one until your get rid of the error.
Fix1: Check Whether The NumberLock Key Is Enabled Or Not
Most of the time people forget to enable their NumberLock key before using the keyboard’s NumberPad. Depending on the type of keyboard you are using, it may have a small LED light to tell you if the Number Lock is on or not. This is how it looks:
If your number keys are not working on the keyboard, just press the Number Lock key once to turn on the Number pad. You will see that the LED light is on, which means that the Number Pad is now working.
A message may appear on the screen to show that the number pad has been turned on. If there is no LED, you should be able to see this message. If the Number Lock is already enabled then, move to the next solution.
Also read: How to Fix Lenovo Keyboard Backlight Not Working on Windows
Fix2: Turn Off Mouse Keys
Use this method when either your whole keyboard is working but only keyboard numbers are not working or when your number pad is working but other keys are not. To turn off Mouse Keys follow the steps below:
- Search for Control Panel in the taskbar and press Enter
- On the Control Panel window, click on “Ease of Access”
- Under Ease of Access, click on the “Change how your keyboard works” option
- Uncheck the “Turn on Mouse Keys” option under Control the Mouse with the keyboard
- Close the Tab and Restart your computer to check whether your keyboard numbers are working or not.
If turning off the mouse key is also not working then check out the next solution.
Fix 3: Update or Reinstall Your Keyboard Drivers
The number keys won’t work on the keyboard if the keyboard driver is missing or out of date. There are two ways to fix this problem: You can either choose to update the keyboard driver or reinstall the keyboard driver.
Update Your Keybaord Driver Manually with the Device Manager
Device Manager is a Windows-integrated tool that allows you to control the devices connected to your system. To update your keyboard drivers manually follow the steps below:
- Search Device Manager in the taskbar and press Enter
- In the Device Manager window click on the Keyboards option to expand it
- Right-click on your keyboard and select Update Driver
- A pop-up window will appear, over there select “Search automatically for driver”
After the completion of the process, Restart your Windows computer and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Update Keyboard Drivers Automatically with the Bit Driver Updater for Ease
If you feel that updating drivers manually is a bit technical for you. Then, you take help from the third-party driver updater software for Windows. For this, the Bit Driver Updater is the best tool. It will automatically update your Windows drivers and help you get rid of various driver-related problems.
The software also offers various advanced features to you as well like driver backup and restore, update schedule, manageable ignore list, etc. You’ll find all of these features when you download the tool and use it. For now, follow the procedure below to know how to use Bit Driver Updater for the keyboard driver updates:
- Download the tool from the button below
- Install and then run the software to Scan Drivers present on your system
- Click on the Update All button when all the driver updates are visible to you.
- Reboot your system when the utility informs you.
- Reinstall the Driver with Device Manager
If the above fixes do not work, try reinstalling the keyboard driver with Device Manager using the below steps:
- Follow the steps mentioned above to expand the keyboard drivers and then right-click on your keyboard and select Uninstall Device.
- A pop-up window appears, click on Uninstall to confirm your actions.
Wait for some time your computer will remove and then automatically reinstall your keyboard drivers after you Restart the system. Now, check if the issue is resolved.
Also Read: How To Resolve Dell Wireless Keyboard Not Working Problem
Fix 4: Run A Keyboard Troubleshooter
An in-built troubleshooter for the keyboard comes in every authentic Windows 10. It can help you find and fix problems with the number keys on your computer. To do so follow the instructions below:
- Open Settings by searching it on the taskbar
- Choose Update and Security from the list
- Select Troubleshoot from the list on the next page.
- Now click on the “Additional troubleshooters”
- Under “Find and Fix other problems” select the keyboard option and click on the Run the Troubleshooter button.
- If any error appears, follow the on-screen instructions to fix them
- Restart your computer after the process and check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Also read: How to Download HID Keyboard Device Drivers for Windows 10, 8, 7
Fix 5: Check For Hardware Issues
After you try these things, you might be able to solve the problem of keyboard numbers not working. If it is still not working, then it means that your keyboard is physically broken or defective.
You can plug the keyboard into another computer to see if it works. As an alternative, you can unplug the keyboard from your computer and clear the dust. Plug it into a different USB port to check if there is any hardware problem with the keyboard.
We hope that after following all these solutions you will be able to resolve your keyboard numbers not working issue. If the number keys still don’t work, it means your keyboard is broken and you should either take it to a repair shop or buy a new one. Share your views and suggestions related to this article in the comment section below. We would love to hear from you.