For Windows 10 users error 0x800704cf is a commonly occurring problem. If you are also facing this issue, you may read this article to learn its best solutions.
Error 0x800704cf is an irritating Windows 10 issue that often appears when you access your workgroup or a network PC. Users have also reported experiencing this problem after the Windows 10 update.
If you are also encountering the error code 0x800704cf on Windows 10, don’t panic. The problem is easily solvable.
All you need to do is read this article with the utmost attention. Here, we introduce you to the best possible solutions to the Windows update error 0x800704cf.
However, before discussing the solutions, it is important to learn why this Windows 10 network error evolved on your computer.
If you understand what triggered the error code 0x800704cf, it won’t be a hassle to fix it. Hence, let’s take a look at its causes before proceeding to the fixes.
Causes of Error Code 0x800704cf on Windows 10
Windows 10 update error code 0x800704cf may appear due to any of the following reasons.
- Problems with the adapter settings
- Issues with the settings of Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- Incorrectly installed or corrupted network adapter driver
Above, we listed the prominent culprits behind the network and Windows update error 0x800704cf. Let’s now troubleshoot it.
Fixes for Windows 10 Error 0x800704cf
You may apply the following fixes to drive the error code 0x800704cf away from your computer.
Fix 1: Change the network adapter settings
A network adapter is a piece of hardware that aids the effective transfer of data between your computer and the connected device. If your network adapter settings are not correct you may encounter data sharing issues and error 0x800704cf. Hence, below is how to change the adapter settings to solve the problem.
- Using the Windows+I keyboard shortcut, access the system settings.
- Select Network & Internet from the settings menu.
- Go to the Change adapter options.
- Right-click the currently available WiFi network connection and select Properties from the menu visible on your screen.
- Uncheck the Client for Microsoft Networks option.
- Save the changed settings and restart your PC.
Also read: WiFi Doesn’t Have A Valid IP Configuration Error (Fixed)
Fix 2: Reset the settings of TCP/IP
The Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) functions in combination with the Internet Protocol (IP) to transfer packets reliably. If the settings of these protocols go wrong, you may experience the Evolve Windows 10 network errors like the one you are currently encountering. Hence, below we share the steps to reset TCP/IP to fix the issue.
- Right-click on the Windows icon and pick Command Prompt (admin) from the on-screen menu.
- Input ipconfig /flushdns in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter to clear the DNS cache.
- Now, type the command nbtstat –RR and press Enter.
- Execute the commands netsh int ip reset and netsh winsock reset to perform Internet Protocol (IP) and Winsock Catalog reset.
- After running all the commands successfully, restart your PC to apply the changes.
Fix 3: Reinstall the driver for your network adapter
As you already know, Windows 10 Error 0x800704cf may also stem from a corrupted or improperly installed network adapter driver. Thus, you can reinstall the driver using the step-by-step directions given below.
- Search for Device Manager and launch it on your computer.
- Click on Network adapters to expand the category.
- Right-click on your network adapter and select the Uninstall device option from the available alternatives.
- Delete the driver software for this device.
- Select the OK/Uninstall button.
- Restart your computer after performing the above steps.
Also read: Windows 10 Network Adapter Missing [100 % Working Fixes]
Fix 4: Perform Windows troubleshooting
Windows offers an in-built troubleshooting system to fix the Windows 10 error code 0x800704cf and other issues. You may follow the below steps to use it.
- Open the Settings panel of your computer.
- From the available options, pick the Update & Security setting.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the left section of the screen.
- Locate the Network Adapter and click on it.
- Click on the button that lets Windows Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait for the troubleshooting to complete.
- After the above process is complete, restart the computer.
- Now, go to the Troubleshoot setting again.
- Click on Windows Store Apps and run the troubleshooter.
- After completing the troubleshooting, restart your computer.
Fix 5: Use your Microsoft account to sign in
The Windows 10 error code 0x800704cf may also appear if you sign in using your local account instead of your Microsoft account. Hence, you may follow the steps shared below to log in using the Microsoft account.
- Launch the Settings on your computer.
- Select the Accounts setting.
- Choose Your info from the left section.
- Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
- Input your credentials to sign in.
- Navigate back to Your info and select Verify.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to perform identity verification.
- After completing the above steps, launch Microsoft Store and check whether Windows 10 update error code 0x800704cf has vanished or not.
Above, we shared the tried and tested solutions to fix the Evolve Windows 10 network error you are facing. You will need the internet for this 0x800704cf error code to fix it. And the internet may not be available when this error occurs. Hence, if you face such annoying problems frequently, you may apply the bonus tip given below to avoid them in the future.
Also read: How To Fix Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Missing [Fixed]
Bonus Tip to Avoid Error Code 0x800704cf on Windows 10
Network problems mostly occur due to outdated network drivers. Hence, to avoid future occurrence of issues like error 0x800704cf, we suggest updating the network adapter driver.
You may update drivers automatically with just a click using a dedicated program like Bit Driver Updater.
Bit Driver Updater performs single-click automatic driver updates. Moreover, it also offers benefits like driver backup and restore, acceleration of driver download speed, and much more.
Below is the link to download, install, and try Bit Driver Updater.
After completing the download and installation of Bit Driver Updater, wait for a couple of moments till it presents a list of outdated drivers. Once you get the outdated drivers’ list, you may Update All to the most recent version.
If you only desire to update the network adapter driver, you may make use of the Update Now tool to do so.
However, experts find it better to update all outdated drivers to make the computer perform smoothly.
Error 0x800704cf Fixed
Through this article, we helped you fix the error code 0x800704cf on Windows 10. You may apply the above fixes to drive it away. And, you may update drivers via Bit Driver Updater to prevent the future occurrence of this and other similar issues.
If you have any doubts, questions, or suggestions related to this article, you can contact us through the comments section.