Correct and compatible graphic card drivers are essential to ensure optimal graphics performance. Hence, read on to learn how to fix the compatibility issues of a graphic card driver quickly and easily.
Your computer needs a graphic card to run all your favorite sci-fi movies, TV series, high-end games, and other resource-intensive tasks. Without the video card, you cannot perform any of these activities. However, the compatibility issues of a graphic card driver often hamper the card’s performance.
The compatibility issues arise when you have updated your old graphics driver to a new one. However, before you jump to fix the problem, let’s shed some light on it so that troubleshooting becomes easier.
What Causes Compatibility Issues of a Graphic Card Driver
A lot of users reported graphic card compatibility issues on their Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines. These problems may arise due to any of the following factors.
- A mismatch between the driver and your computer’s architecture
- Operating system bugs
Now that the culprits behind the compatibility issues of a graphic card driver are out in the open, let’s begin solving the problem.
How to Fix Compatibility Issues of a Graphic Card Driver
You may try the following fixes to get rid of the compatibility issues of your graphic card driver.
Fix 1: Rollback the graphic card driver
You may have downloaded a mismatched graphic card driver leading to compatibility issues. Now, you can rollback the graphics driver to its earlier version to solve the problem. Following are the step-by-step directions to do it.
- Use the search function of Windows to find Device Manager and launch it.
- After the Device Manager appears, select Display adapters to get their detailed view.
- Click doubly on your graphics card to launch its Properties.
- After you get the graphic card’s properties, head to the Driver tab.
- Click on the button to Roll Back Driver.
- Select a reason for the rollback. You may choose any on-screen option, it makes no difference.
- Click on OK and wait for the process to complete.
- After completing the process, restart your computer.
Fix 2: Download the updated driver using GeForce
If you are facing compatibility issues with your Nvidia graphics card driver, you may get the problem solved using GeForce. Following are the detailed directions to do it.
- Navigate to the Nvidia GeForce website.
- Choose GEFORCE EXPERIENCE from the menu bar.
- Click on the Download Now button to get the installation file of the GeForce application on your computer.
- Click doubly on the downloaded installer to run it.
- Follow the instructions appearing on your screen to install the GeForce application.
- If you are using a desktop computer, ensure your monitor is connected through the Nvidia GPU.
- Launch the GeForce application.
- Update the application, if you are asked to do it.
- Go to the Drivers tab.
- If no automatic update is found, you can Check for Updates.
- After an update becomes available, select the Custom Installation option.
- Now, mark the box to Perform a clean installation.
- Click on the Next button to begin the installation process.
- After finishing the installation, make sure to restart your computer.
Fix 3: Update your operating system
Since operating system problems may also cause compatibility issues of a graphic card driver, updating the OS can help you fix the problems. You may carry out an operating system update by following the directions below.
- Click on the Windows icon.
- Pick Settings from the menu that appears on your screen.
- Select the setting called Update & Security from the available options.
- Click on the on-screen option to Check for updates.
- After Windows finds an update for your device, Download and Install the same.
- Once you have performed the above steps, get your computer restarted.
Fix 4: Reinstall the graphics driver
Incorrect, incomplete, or corrupted driver installation may also lead to compatibility issues of a graphic card driver. Hence, you may execute a driver reinstallation to fix the errors you are encountering. Here are the steps to get it done.
- Call up the in-built driver management tool of Windows, i.e., Device Manager.
- Click on the segment of Display adapters to view them in an elaborate form.
- Right-click your graphics driver and pick the option to Uninstall device/uninstall.
- Mark Delete the driver software for this device option.
- Give your confirmation for the uninstallation.
- Wait till the uninstallation process completes.
- After the driver gets uninstalled, restart your computer.
Fix 5: Install the compatible driver for your graphics card automatically (Recommended)
If even a single step goes wrong during manual driver updates, you may face multiple compatibility-related problems. Therefore, to fix the compatibility issues of a graphic card driver, we recommend downloading and installing driver updates automatically with a program like Bit Driver Updater.
Bit Driver Updater lets you download and install all driver updates with a single click. Moreover, it offers several benefits, such as driver backup and restore, accelerating the speed of downloading drivers, scheduled computer scans, and many more.
You may click on the following button to download Bit Driver Updater and install it on your system.
Once you have downloaded the software and completed its installation, let it present a list of outdated drivers (it only takes a few seconds to do it). After knowing which drivers are out-of-date, you may Update All to the most recent version.
If you wish to update just the graphics card driver, you may use the Update Now tool.
However, experts suggest updating all drivers to ensure an error-free and smooth computer performance.
Concluding the Fixes for Compatibility Issues of a Graphic Card Driver
In this article, we discussed how to fix the compatibility issues of a graphic card driver. You may apply the above solutions to drive the problems you are experiencing away.
If you are aware of any other better ways to resolve the graphic card driver compatibility issues, kindly make use of the comments section to share them.
To troubleshoot other annoying tech problems easily, stay connected to Innovana Techlabs Blog.